Current Industry Initiatives
Australian Wind Construction Forum
Chair & Founder
James’ current industry collaboration has involved spearheading a national initiative “Yaamagara”, which led to founding and chairing the Australian Wind Construction Forum.
The Australian Wind Construction Forum is a collaboration of industry leaders, engaged in a long-term initiative, formerly known as “Yaamagara”, created to establish a much-needed industry step-change in the globally influenced safety performance on major wind construction projects.
The Yaamagara initiative was established under the shared objective of building capability into remote projects and establishing baseline in safety performance whilst creating a training pathway for regional and indigenous workers. With Yaamagara phase 1 complete, the Australian Wind Construction Collective was formalised by Risk Services Australia in collaboration with Wright Training and Aboriginal Insights to fund the Australian Wind Construction Conference 2022 – a conference designed to promote industry awareness of the performance in wind construction and to support tangible positive outcomes in training and employment.
For more information about the Australian Wind Construction Forum and the work James is doing with industry leaders and professionals:
Risk Services Australia and Wright Training are working together through tThe Australian Wind Construction forum to establish a pilot training & mobilisation program for major wind projects.
Pilot sessions have been made available for 2023.
For more information about the JobReady for Wind Pilot programs:
Australian Wind Construction Safety Conference 2022
James Thomas, curated and developed the Australian Wind Construction Conference 2022. Funded by a collective consisting of RSA, Wright Training & Aboriginal Insights, the AWCSC was an Australian story, a online conference storyboard walked through the persistent issues in wind construction explored via the Yaamagara initiative, that lead to conversations around benchmarked solutions.
Facilitated by industry leaders with shared objectives and values on industry safety, training, and community engagement, the intention of the conference was to start the conversation to assist the renewables construction sector in the planning and implementation of major projects under specialised lift planning.
2023 Australian Wind Construction Industry Summit
Funded by RSA and curated by J Thomas, the 2023 Australian Wind Construction Industry Summit is an opportunity for key industry leaders from the client, installation, cranes & lifting and regulators, to discuss industry issues and tested solutions, within an open forum format challenging industry performance to break the potential of industry complacency.
In two parts, the summit involves a tailored industry workshop in the morning and an open conference in the afternoon.
The summit brings together speakers including Claire Wright from Wright Training, Trent Watson from Ethos Health, and Paul Martin from Skylotec, all experts in their field and here to add value to the industry.
James Thomas | Industry Achievements
Director & H&S Leader
James Thomas has a diverse and comprehensive skill set to offer your company:
- Verified track record working EPC to Client achieving strategic outcomes in safety performance on major multi-billion dollar projects in LNG, Resources & Power Generation.
- Creating Value to major projects throughout the contract lifecycle from pre-mobilisation through construction to commissioning.
- Extensive experience in Major Project Risk Profiles including; Civil Infrastructure, Tunnelling, Structural, Mechanical, E&I, Marine, Commissioning & Specialised lifts.
H&S Framework Development
- Successful development of multiple H&S frameworks on multiple Major Projects; Agnew Wind Project, Mpower Solar for Samoa, Xstrata Ravensworth Expansion, Straits Tritton Mine.
- Developed & implemented H&S framework for NMHG overseeing 3 companies with 21 business units throughout Asia Pacific.
- Transitioned Nacap, 3rd tier civil contractor to top tier multidiscipline contractor on world first Hybrid Energy Project; inclusive of federal (FSC) H&S accreditation.
- Developed & implemented Industry leading framework for managing specialised lifts in remote construction.
- Organisation Assessment & Strategy; Transport for NSW Power Supply Upgrade Program, Straits Tritton Mine & Nacco Materials Handling Asia-Pacific.
Image from Mpower Solar Samoa project. www.mpower.com.au/samoa
Project Assurance & Compliance Programs
Developed and led H&S assurance program, that was “schedule live” within the project H&S framework for;
- Neoen (Kaban Wind Project),
- Nacap (Agnew Wind Project),
- Engie Energy (Willogoleche),
- Transport for NSW (Power Supply Upgrade Program),
- JKC (Ichthys LNG),
- WorleyParsons (Pluto LNG Project) and
- Nacco Materials Handling Asia-Pacific
H&S Team Leadership
- Mentored and directly led multiple H&S teams, varying from an international portfolio to major project team; Halls Construction, Transport for NSW, Ravensworth Expansion, AiConstruction and NACCO Materials Handling
- Facilitated project intervention and improvement strategies, H&S campaigns and best practice initiatives such as “Jobready”.
- Championed and workshop facilitated multiple workforce engagement programs. JobReady for Remote construction under specialised lifts, Ravensworth Expansion Project, Pluto LNG – “Safe Mind Safe Body” Champion and workshop facilitator.
- Mentored and led multiple H&S teams, varying from an international portfolio to major project team.
- Project workshop facilitation inclusive of HazID/Craw, Site Standards technical development & ICAM/Taproot investigations.
JobReady for Wind
Wind Project Campaign Facilitation
- Motivational induction – “JobReady for Wind”
- Superviser alignment workshop – Jobready for wind leadership alignment workshop
- Mobilisation Audit of Principal contractor, crane & installation companies – this crosses over to conducting & services
- In field safety observations of crane & install (as part of mobilisation audit process) – this crosses over to conducting & services
- Leadership, supervision & H&S team coaching services; Contractor & site works Auditing, Lift planning and workforce behavioural engagement – this crosses over to conducting & services
Ready to work with us?
RSA Capability Statement
Download our full capability statement for more information about our Director, James Thomas, the complete offering Risk Services Australia can provide your company, and how we can work together to take your business to the next level of risk management, efficiency and exceptional leadership.
Engaged by VISY Glass for 4 major plant shutdowns involving the decommissioning and rebuild of a gas fired furnace and associated plant in Auckland, Melbourne, Adelaide & Sydney.
Engaged by Neoen for a series of leadership workshops and multiple onsite contractor mobilisation audits of their PC Vestas o the Kaban Wind Project.
Engaged by Juwi to mobilise their renewables project in Northern Goldfields.
ENEL GREEN POWER
Engaged by Enel Green Power, to complete and commission the Cohuna Solar Project.EGP is an Italian multinational managing 46GW through 1200 plants in 27 countries.
Define your Risk, Perceive your Risk, Manage your Risk!
Based in Brisbane, we proudly work with clients from around Australia.
Please telephone or email us to discuss your next project. We’d be happy to provide an obligation free quotation for your consideration.